<$BlogRSDURL$> Spontaneous Things: Karina Sumner-Smith's Blog
Thursday, March 27, 2003
 
Dinner was in the rather expensive hotel restaurant. I was in a big group of people who ignored the waitstaff and rearranged the tables as we saw fit (evoking Clarion flashbacks). We were right by the GoH table; oh, I thought, there's David Brin. But it's not very nice to accost authors while they are eating, I'll have to … well, you get the idea.

After that I prettied myself up (sparkly big-sleeved shirt--woo!) and went down to the Masquerade. The only masquerade I'd seen before this one was at PhilCon, and that was in a hotel room on TV (though admittedly surrounded by cool, famous authors). It was far more fun in person. There is something delightfully and unabashedly geeky about the masquerade that I so enjoy.

The evening is more of a blur than the rest of the con. For a while a group of us went to the dance. I don't dance very often, but when I do I have a great time. I haven't had this much fun dancing since the Clarionites-go-clubbing fun in 2001. I'd go dancing here, to be honest, but I don't have a group of people to go with. (Pout.) The music was silly, but fun. I'm still singing "The Safety Dance" now, and I'm listening to Miranda Sex Garden at the moment so that should tell you something.

I did, however, make the mistake of sitting down too long. Next thing I know there's a tap on my arm. I look up. Two guys are standing there, looking awfully out of place. Acting cool, hair spiked, the whole deal. No badges. Con crashers.

They said a few awkward things, and then attempted the worst pick-up line I've ever heard: "Um, so … do you like science fiction?"

To which I thought, No, dude, I'm just pretending. Pah.

After they left, announcing their plans to come back and talk to me soon (oh, great), Sarah and I came up with a plan to deal with them should they return and prove to be persistent. I'm pretty sure we could have gotten John to go along with it, too.

The rest of the evening was mainly wandering the halls and visiting of various suites. Con parties. Noise, food, laughter, interesting conversation. The evening finished with a group of us hanging out in Julie and Roger's suite, where I became too reserved for my own good but had a hell of a good time anyway. Too funny.

And, a few times during the evening, I did take a moment or two to wonder what was happening at the ICFA. Things went from "no banquet yet" to "probably having the banquet now" to "guess the banquet must be over … I hope they said my name right." Not the same as being there, but at least there was no heckling.

Posted by Karina Sumner-Smith at 3:48 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment




Powered by Blogger


Spontaneous Things © Karina Sumner-Smith 2000-2005