<$BlogRSDURL$> Spontaneous Things: Karina Sumner-Smith's Blog
Wednesday, October 15, 2003
 
Books, Books

For those of you who are interested, I have chosen a nice collection of YA fantasies for my course-in-the-making. It has, over the course of my choosing the reading list, become a course in multi-volume YA Fantasy. For those who are interested, the books are:

Susan Cooper's Dark is Rising series
Over Sea, Under Stone
The Dark is Rising
Greenwitch
The Grey King
Silver on the Tree


Lloyd Alexander's Prydain Chronicles
The Book of Three
The Black Cauldron
The Castle of Llyr
Taran Wanderer
The High King


Tamora Pierce's The Song of the Lioness Quartet
Alanna: The First Adventure
In the Hand of the Goddess
The Woman Who Rides Like a Man
Lioness Rampant


Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials Trilogy
The Golden Compass
The Subtle Knife
The Amber Spyglass


Garth Nix's apparently unnamed triolgy
Sabriel
Lirael
Abhorsen


The books that I considered but didn't make the cut included Patricia C. Wrede's Enchanted Forest Chronicles, Jane Yolen's Pit Dragon Trilogy, Diane Duane's Young Wizard series, and some standalone novels, Diana Wynne Jones' Fire and Hemlock, Robin McKinley's Hero and the Crown, Neil Gaiman's Coraline.

Thank you to everyone who recommended YA books to me, especially to Emily (whose email address I don't know) without whom I'd never have found Garth Nix. Thank you!! And this list isn't exactly final (I'm pondering adding another book or two for good measure), so if I'm making a terrible mistake or if there's something I haven't considered, etc., etc., let me know! (My email's waaaay down there at the bottom of the page.)

Posted by Karina Sumner-Smith at 3:05 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment




Powered by Blogger


Spontaneous Things © Karina Sumner-Smith 2000-2005