<$BlogRSDURL$> Spontaneous Things: Karina Sumner-Smith's Blog
Thursday, October 02, 2003
 
Written last night at 11:00 PM ...

She Just Wants to Be (Somewhere)
Or, Hands Up Everyone Who Doesn't Understand That Title

Last night I had the incredible fortune to have tickets to see R.E.M. at the Air Canada Centre. Thanks to Carly and a lovely series of events, we bought our tickets way back in the day--April or May, I think--and they were, in a word, amazing. Amazing, amazing tickets. We were in the seventh row. Seventh row!! At the ACC!! (It was even closer than our spots at the free concert, and this time we were not standing two feet away from a gigantic, deafening bank of speakers.)

This was quite simply the best concert I've ever attended. And I've seen some fantastic concerts, including Paul Simon and Alanis (fifth row!!) and the aforementioned free R.E.M. concert on Yonge Street. This beat them all, by far. Abso-freaking-lutely amazing. There was such an open, fun atmosphere, incredibly inclusive and unbelievably energetic.

They played songs that people requested, songs from all eras of their career, "Electrolite," and "Walk Unafraid," and "Bad Day," "Everybody Hurts" and "Find the River" and "Nightswimming." Brand new songs, things I've never heard before, and things that it seems I've known forever.

And what will stay with me is one moment, closing my eyes and seeing afterimages and the shine of stage lights flashing through my eyelids, feeling like I was drifting as I sang along, "This is all I want, it's all I need..."

Posted by Karina Sumner-Smith at 7:26 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment




Powered by Blogger


Spontaneous Things © Karina Sumner-Smith 2000-2005