<$BlogRSDURL$> Spontaneous Things: Karina Sumner-Smith's Blog
Monday, January 26, 2004
 
Catchall Entry

I know I haven't been here much lately, and I apologize. I have been distracted. There have been the usual school-related things, but what's really been occupying my mind is my Oma. I'm not going to go into much detail here, but in short when she moved into New House lifting a box (or perhaps the repeated lifting of many boxes) broke her back. Literally. And this fractured back was not healing and causing a great deal of pain, so last week she went in for surgery. Day surgery, amazingly enough, with a new technique, not very invasive and all that lovely sort of stuff. But still, I worry. That's what I do.

I went home for a couple of days just to be with her, and am happy to say that she's feeling better, bit by bit. At this rate, within a few days she'll be on her feet for more than just a few minutes at a time, and getting back to her usual self. (My Oma so hates to be in bed.) And so that's a big relief.

Yesterday, for a change of pace, I went to Sarah's for our 10th Kingdom marathon. I'd never heard of this miniseries, to be honest, before Sarah insisted that I needed to see it when we were talking on one of our Inuyasha days, and popped the first DVD in to prove that indeed I really did need to see it. Apparently, this one came out around the same time as that Merlin miniseries and others, but whether I was curiously absent from the TV while the promos were running or the ad campaign was dreadful or what, I don’t know. But I've seen it now, and am happy that I did. As I tried to describe last night, it's a contemporary fantasy/fairy tale(s)/comedy/drama/adventure story. I do so love "unclassifiable."

Didn't feel like I'd just watched 8 hours worth of show, though. It's like reading a good book before going to bed; all of a sudden you look at the clock and say, "It's what time?! I have to get up in an hour!"

In fact, the only real disappointment of the day was the garlic bread. I told Marissa the other day about some very disappointingly insipid garlic bread that I'd had while out, but that, while being little more than toasted butter bread was at least enjoyable on the bread level. The garlic bread that we ordered with our pizza, however, was not enjoyable on any level whatsoever. There were only two pieces--a blatant rip off, if you ask me--which proved to be the top and bottom of a hamburger bun. An old hamburger bun, from the taste of things, which was really not made any better by the fact that the bottom was totally burnt. And while they seemed to use real garlic and some quantity at that, it was ... sour. And lacking in salt, or something. Dreadful stuff. It's just wrong to mangle garlic bread that way.

Posted by Karina Sumner-Smith at 12:00 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment




Powered by Blogger


Spontaneous Things © Karina Sumner-Smith 2000-2005