<$BlogRSDURL$> Spontaneous Things: Karina Sumner-Smith's Blog
Wednesday, January 14, 2004
 
Dare I Ask?

Jamaica Kincaid has a book, which I've read, called My Garden (Book):. No, I am not punctuating that badly. One word is in brackets and there's a colon at the end. Here's my question: WHY?? The word "book" being in brackets is actually kind of clever, giving a double meaning for the title and all, but what's with the colon? And it's not just a typo, unless the typo was on the original manuscript and has been put on the cover, title page and copyright without anyone noticing the error. Is there a reason for this, or are authors just adding unnecessary punctuation to titles to be different (aka pretentious)?

Posted by Karina Sumner-Smith at 7:53 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment




Powered by Blogger


Spontaneous Things © Karina Sumner-Smith 2000-2005