<$BlogRSDURL$> Spontaneous Things: Karina Sumner-Smith's Blog
Tuesday, February 17, 2004
 
Where Is My Mind?

So. This is reading week. I heard people talking before various classes about where they were going (I heard Cuba a good few times), what they were planning to do. Surely I can't be the only one who is planning to spend this week reading like a maniac and writing essays and catching up on my horrible backlog of unanswered email and whatnot. I'm so very tired of this. I'm tired of having to write that what I'm doing is always writing essays and reading for classes, and soon I won't have to say it. Six weeks plus change. Strength, me, strength.

But, of course, the moment that I let myself rest a little bit (which I did on Saturday and to some degree Sunday) my body goes and gets unhappy with me. I've been feeling ... wrong for the last 24 hours, and my head is hurting in ways that Advil just won't touch. Damn.

Ah, well. Finished The Songlines by Bruce Chatwin, which connected in cool and interesting ways to friend/Clarion classmate Amy Beth Forbes' short story "A Communion of Maggots." Clever, Amy. Started Volume 1 of Proust's In Search of Lost Time (aka Remembrance of Things Past) this afternoon, and am happy that Volume 1 is as far as I have to go.

I also read Art Spiegelman's Maus at the end of last week, which was overall a very good experience. Interesting book. It did take me a little to get used to reading a comic/graphic novel, but then I've always had trouble with that. I remember trying to read a few of my brother's X-Men comics way back in the day, and getting so horribly confused because I'd only read the text and have no idea what was going on. It's not that I didn't understand that I had to look at the illustrations, but once I got reading my brain seemed to block out all non-textual visual input. Reading Maus was easier, so long as I periodically reminded myself to look at what was happening. I must admit, though, it was a distinctly odd feeling to be reading a book that has a gigantic swastika on the cover, and reading it in public, no less. I just hoped that the mice and the Hitler-as-cat imagery helped prevent confusion. (Now that's a unique sentence.)

Posted by Karina Sumner-Smith at 8:06 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment




Powered by Blogger


Spontaneous Things © Karina Sumner-Smith 2000-2005