<$BlogRSDURL$> Spontaneous Things: Karina Sumner-Smith's Blog
Saturday, April 17, 2004
Rambling, with Sudafed

Went out and about yesterday with Sarah (whose reaction to seeing my hair in-person made me happy). We went to see Hellboy, which was fun, and made me want a kitten very badly. Then it was off to Bakka to show off my hair (which is just so, so fun). After some noodles for dinner, Sarah took me to see the scilla outside one of the U of T buildings near the ROM (Royal Ontario Museum, for those of you who live elsewhere). You know how people sometimes refer to a carpet of flowers? This is the first time I've seen something that merits that description. It was gorgeous. In some places, the scilla was so thick that I couldn't see the leaves through all the blue-violet flowers. Sarah and I chattered happily about how much we love this city as we went to the ROM for the start of Sarah's shift and my impromptu tour.

Unfortunately, it was about this time that I started to crash. See, all week I've been sick-not-sick. I get up in the morning and I feel fine, great, happy and ready to face the day. (Or perhaps sleepy, slightly irritable and ready for breakfast. It's one of the two.) By afternoon, I start dragging a bit, feeling a bit off. By evening, the headache hits and I just want to curl up in a little ball. When morning comes, I'm great again.

When we reached the ROM, I thought "Damn, evening is kicking in." Got myself some Advil and waited for that to work. Sarah showed me around the hands-on biodiversity gallery, which is actually really, really cool. (Though I did make sure that I got out of the way of the kids who wanted to search for the mossy frogs and the queen bee, rather than hogging all the space.) But as I wandered I realized: I was crashing. Fast. As things started to get that glassy look that you have when a fever starts, I decided it was probably a good idea to cut the day a bit short and get myself home.

Curled up in my chair and read for a bit, and watched the hockey game, and then a documentary called Shelter Dogs. (I cursed the latter for being so interesting because I ended up staying up later than I'd intended to, just seeing what happened to all the dogs.) Had a terrible night but the morning's been good again, thanks to my friend Extra-Strength Sudafed Cough and Cold--the big guns. Ate pancakes and read the new Robin Hobb book for a while. Seems that I always read these books when I'm curled up in bed feeling bad--which might account for why I enjoy them more than I should.

Seems my morning editing session on "Ohntai" isn't going to happen, as somehow it's already afternoon and I'm due to be in Palgrave soon. Time to grab my Sudafed, my Robin Hobb book and get out the door. Sometime I'll have time to catch up on all my email ... sometime ...

Posted by Karina Sumner-Smith at 12:43 PM


Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger

Spontaneous Things © Karina Sumner-Smith 2000-2005