<$BlogRSDURL$> Spontaneous Things: Karina Sumner-Smith's Blog
Thursday, June 10, 2004
 
So much to say. So very little time to say it in.

I feel like this is the first time that I've stopped doing stuff in days--and I'm not really stopped even now, because I'm about to make dinner and I have writing to do and business cards to redesign and print out and laundry to wash and dry and then there's that whole needing to work and sleep thing. Yeah. So: busy.

But I've been doing enjoyable things, too. Last Wednesday (woah, am I ever behind) I went to see Sarah's choir perform Carmina Burana, which was utterly fantastic and which I thoroughly enjoyed. Despite the fact that I'd been about ready to fall asleep on the subway downtown after work, the music kept me absolutely awake and listening. Plus I had Chris (of Bakka fame) to keep me company before the show started and during the intermission.

Friday I went out with some newsgroupies (deep breath--Sarah, Jana, Lara, Rob, Ross and Sandie) to see Harry Potter. The company, by the way, was fantastic (the people I went with, I mean, not the hoards of tarted-up 14-year-old fangirls that swarmed the place on mass ... but I digress). I'm rather enjoying this growing trend of us all going out to a movie or someone's house or something. It's been a while since I've had a group, and I'd rather missed it.

I also greatly enjoyed the movie. I've heard people say both positive and negative things about this one, but for what it's worth, I think it was the best one of the lot, by far. It's more vivid, more emotional, more real. And no, it isn't the book, but that's sort of the point of seeing a movie, isn't it?

It also taught me something very important. Midway through the movie, as I'm half-wondering to myself what it is about this movie that's so different and so much better than the previous two, I came to a sudden realization: this movie was like the others, but with the intensity dial turned up. And my writing brain goes, "Intensity dial? Those exist?"

As soon as I realized that, I thought about the Peak of the Ocean books' storyline; there has been something missing from that whole huge story, and I couldn't figure out for the longest time what it was. And so I thought about a scene, and imagined turning the intensity dial up--upping the tension between characters, deepening the meaning, making the danger more present, making the consequences that much worse--and wham, the scene fell into place. And I tried it again, and again, and damn if it didn't work every time.

Don't know how much of the movie I missed, lost in my own head like that, but whatever it was, it was worth it. So, so worth it.

Now if only I had time to write it...

(Yeah, so stop writing blog entries, you twit.)

(Shut up, me.)

In the mean time, work has been ... work. I actually ran out of things to do for a day or so there, and managed to catch up on some email. Not enough email, of course. (I have a couple of emails that I'd really like to respond to that are literally months old. And how to you just send someone an email after months of silence? It's hard, is what. I feel like a terrible person. Or a terrible correspondent, anyway.) But today was a big meeting with Important People that was my meeting--my idea and under my leadership and all the rest of that jazz--so I was nervous as all hell. But this project is going good places and can actually be quite exciting when I let myself stop and think of all the potential.

In other news, I'll be going to Book Expo this Sunday, which I'm both very excited and very nervous about. Thought I had the perfect outfit, and then I went and bought some new clothes. I'm determined to make an impact (though, hopefully, not by projectile vomiting on an editor's shoes, which is what M'ris mentioned to me. Eep). We will see how that goes.

Also: since putting the comments feature on this here lovely blog, I have since discovered that it will only update and/or tell me about comments when I'm connected to the ftp server. Which means, only right before and right after I upload an entry. Now is this something due to me messing up code again (I don't think so, but you never know, right?) or something related to the way that Blogger works or what? Should I not be surprised by this? I don't know.

I'm hungry. I'm going to make myself some dinner.

Posted by Karina Sumner-Smith at 7:42 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment




Powered by Blogger


Spontaneous Things © Karina Sumner-Smith 2000-2005