<$BlogRSDURL$> Spontaneous Things: Karina Sumner-Smith's Blog
Tuesday, October 19, 2004
 
An Important Also

Sunday evening, after banging my head against the crappy 4000-word draft all afternoon (and consoling myself with Knight Rider when things got too rough), and after listening to my Kincardine Scottish Pipe Band CD at least three times on repeat, and before I ate the rotten pork roast that took me out of commission all day yesterday (and/or began feeling the effects of what could be some sort of cold/flu type thing), I found the voice of the bagpipe story. (Aka "Safe Passage," aka "Calling Her Home," aka "that stupid mutter-mutter story.") I know how it sounds and I know that now that I have two scenes that are right everything else will happily (or at least eventually) follow from there. I also know that as I write, the existing 4000 words will be deleted, overwritten or totally ignored. That's the thing about finding the real story's voice: anything written to that point becomes useless. And it doesn't matter!

Few things are quite like the thrill of finally finding the right words.

Now if only I felt like writing when I get home today, instead of curling up in my bed and trying to sleep away this dreadful yuckiness. (Ah, well. Can't have everything.)

Posted by Karina Sumner-Smith at 1:01 PM

1 Comments:

37 pages?! Whoa, Michelle. "Ouch" is the word that comes to mind--but then, sometimes you just do whatever it takes to get to the *real* words. It seems I have to throw out three or four potential beginnings at least before anything clicks. I'm glad I'm not alone!

And LJ ... yeah, point taken. :) I'll try to mirror a little better than I have been.

By Blogger Karina Sumner-Smith, at 10:12 PM  

Post a Comment




Powered by Blogger


Spontaneous Things © Karina Sumner-Smith 2000-2005