<$BlogRSDURL$> Spontaneous Things: Karina Sumner-Smith's Blog
Tuesday, September 27, 2005
 
I Blame Elaine

Yes, Elaine, I'm talking about you.

So there I was, minding my own business, just trying to catch up on some of my neglected blog reading (some of my Bloglines subscriptions are so far past overflowing that it's not even funny) and came across an entry of Elaine's that mentioned a new online book cataloging site, LibraryThing. I was interested enough to check it out ... and thus, I was doomed.

LibraryThing lets you list all the books that you own. Through the Library of Congress and the various Amazons, you can add books quickly and have their listings automatically include pictures of the covers, author, title, ISBN, publication date, publisher, etc. Then you can use tags to categorize and subcategorize everything in your library, leave personal comments about any of the books, their condition, location in your house, etc., and see who else on LibraryThing has the same books. Social networking through books!!

You can list up to 200 books for free, and a lifetime paid account is $10. I have paid my $10, and am filling up my personal library in spare bits of time. Oh, it's so lovely! Especially when I can get all the books at my parents' house listed, too -- all the books I own, searchable, categorized, at my fingertips!

I'm stopping now before I start to drool.

Posted by Karina Sumner-Smith at 3:49 PM

2 Comments:

Ha! But don't say I didn't warn you. "Like crack cocaine for obssessive-compulsive bibliophiles," I said. :)

By Blogger E. L. Chen, at 7:28 PM  

And you were right. Oh, so very right ...

By Blogger Karina Sumner-Smith, at 11:51 PM  

Post a Comment




Powered by Blogger


Spontaneous Things © Karina Sumner-Smith 2000-2005