<$BlogRSDURL$> Spontaneous Things: Karina Sumner-Smith's Blog
Tuesday, January 10, 2006
 
Recommendations, Please

Have I mentioned that I now work for an I.T. firm? Uh-huh. And I don't know if you've noticed, but I'm not exactly an I.T. girl. Oh, I love technology, can chat about blog theory and online marketing and Cluetrain stuff until it's dark, but it's clear that I.T. is a whole other world, a whole other language, and one of which I've barely scratched the surface. (I keep typing FTL instead of ETL; when it comes to defining BI, I'm SOL -- which is very different from SQL; and when I someone tells me that an individual "has B.O." my first thought is "I'm sorry to hear that.") I am, quite simply, feeling clueless.

And while some people learn best by doing, I learn best by reading massive piles of info before attempting anything. Problem is, no one seems to have written an all-purpose I.T. for Dummies book, and while I know that there are countless websites and books and resources that I could read, I don't even know where to start. So: does anyone have any recommendations? Books, websites, blogs, magazines, you name it, I want to hear it. Please? I don't even care if it's way over my head at this point, I just need to totally immerse myself.

(I just remind myself of those two weeks of solid reading where I immersed myself in anything and everything related to ePortfolios: I was confused as hell most of the time but absorbing like a sponge, and at the end of it all something in my brain went "ding!" and the information sorted itself into a pattern that made sense and I was ready to go. Interested in ePortfolios? Ask me anything.)

And, in the mean time, I'll continue clambering up this steep learning curve. I'm starting to see the pattern of the Administrative Assistant / Office Manager / Accounts Payable/Receivable aspects of my role; now it's time to tackle the Consultant / Recruiter / Sales and Marketing Assistant / Technical Writer aspects.

(Also, if you are or know an IT professional in the Toronto area looking for work, feel free to drop me a line. In fact, please do -- especially if you're a Java expert.)

Posted by Karina Sumner-Smith at 10:27 PM

1 Comments:

Thank you, Beth!!

By Blogger Karina Sumner-Smith, at 10:29 PM  

Post a Comment




Powered by Blogger


Spontaneous Things © Karina Sumner-Smith 2000-2005